Friday, January 01, 2010

Mommy is full of cookie-ookie.


What in the heck, as my beloved little creature would say. It's New Year's, and I have just figured out which button to click to follow blogs. I am following exactly those that I'm hungry for. Thus far:




Kate Durbin (from whom I swiped this knife-cake)
Dusie/Susana Gardner
Carmen Gimenez Smith
Johannes Goransson
Becca Klaver
Reb Livingston (whom my psyche has now appointed to some position of dream management, and she often appears in the spook hours, lucky Reb, wry grin)
D.A. Powell (who doesn't post often, but I like having him in blog world)
and someone new to me, Kate Zambreno (srsly, this blog--so exciting!).

Oh, let's add
Anne Boyer and Anne Boyer
and
Nada Gordon.

I tried to follow my darlin' Bloof Books, but I'm not sure I clicked the correct icon. Plus, I am like this (crossed fingers, psychic link) with Bloof news. Um, that is, Google Alerted!

I wish Joyelle McSweeney had a blog. Her talk posted over at Johannes's blog is incredible. The comments thread, well, some can't but suck the folle de jois out of the room.

I wish Alissa Nutting had a blog! I wish Rachel Zucker had a blog. I wish Lara Glenum kept up her blog. I wish I kept up my blog. I wish Killing Kanoko and Mommy Must be a Fountain of Feathers and With Deer would get together and start their own blog.

Also, I have received a grant from my university to write a novel about a mommy vampire. Mommy V. I'll be doing that this year.

Lots of love,
Danielle

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger becca said...

How did you know my new year's wish for you was to mommyvamp it up at your leisure??? BRILLIANT! Congrats!! Do you get time off?

9:32 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

No, no time off, but a little $mmm for supplies. Y'know, Buffy & vampire tours in New Orleans. I don't imagine mommy v approves of leisure, anyhow.

Must talk Buffy sometime, eh?

Loves,
D

1:55 AM  
Blogger Kate Durbin said...

Dear D,

Congrats on the novel--I am beyond excited to read it! I have a huge thing for vamps--teach a class on them at Whittier College. And vampire tours in New Orleans sound heavenly.

Thanks for the blog shout out as well. That cake photo is, of course, of our dear Alice, along with the Lion and the Unicorn (whose outfit I just bought to wear at a reading) from Through the Looking Glass...

xo

5:15 AM  
Blogger becca said...

Yes, Buffy talk! Although on my end it will probably be all teenage sentimentalism. (But wait, that's my SUBJECT.)

Actually, though, on the practical-research front, one of my best friends from high school is heading up the transformation of the Buffy comics into animated shorts right now, so if you want up-to-the-moment info on the Buffyverse, he's your guy (actually the plot is the same as the comix plot, so if you get those you're good ... and actually they veer out of vamp territory by that point, so quite possibs irrelevant).

Just sent you a link to a 20/20 vampire segment that had some amazing characters.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Oh, thx, Bex! What a blast for your friend. I am going to check out some of the comix. So, if I get Buffy box set, will that lure you out to the frontier?

Kate, I wish you taught here. You have the most amazing fashions. I once taught with a professor who dressed like a centaur, and I swear she made me a better teacher just being such a textured and wonderful vision in the mail room. I should pick your brain a bit--I've got a big vamp segment in my fairy tales & monsters course this spring. And am guiding a senior honors thesis on the topic. Have you seen Lara Glenum's double Alice with pig? Oh, wait, Alice isn't on Lara's (defunct) blog any longer--I'll have to see if I have a copy.

Ok, well now that I announced it, I better actually write this novel. Coffee kicking in, big writing seems possible!

xoxo

1:30 PM  
Blogger becca said...

Snowed in through Season 7! How could I resist.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Kate Durbin said...

Dear D,

You are so sweet. I wish I taught there too--it would be uber fun to teach with more like-minded ladies! Though I do enjoy my colleagues of course. And I agree that students (and fellow profs when they don't think I'm insane) all respond to fashion in ways that make learning more tangible and fun.

You are more than welcome to pick my brain anytime about vampires. Your class sounds exciting--I've been wanting to teach a section on fairy tales myself, and never thought of combining monsters and fairy tales. How do you go about that combo--is it monsters in fairy tales that you mostly explore, or some other overarching concept? Sounds so cool!

Would love to see Double Alice w/ pig--email it to me if you have it?

Oh, and I would like to wrangle you into writing up your vampire hunting adventures in New Orleans on your blog--unless you're keeping your research top secret, of course!!

XOXO

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home